This is our final year at Bath Spa University, and the Hatched blog is a record of our journey towards the Free Range Show in July 2011.
The countdown begins, and the work is forming...
Keep up to date with what we are doing by following us.

Sunday 8 May 2011

Rachel Evans

Artist of the Week - 8th May 2011




Arm Span Drawing (Film Still)



My practice is centred equally around drawing and painting, in particular the process of making the work, however, my current practice concentrates on drawing. I am interested in the actual physical act and action of mark making which demands direct body action. My drawings are the products of these actions of my body in extension documenting the physical movements of my body and my body's dimensions.
 Working on large scale paper with graphite I draw and record my body's physical actions and dimensions through natural, energetic gestures that are repetitive and may become quite automated. These gestural actions requiring complete concentration and also generate sounds and therefore have developed into performance. Each drawing "catches" a moment in time and is different from any other being influenced by the preparations, materials used and the state of mind at the moment of creation like that of Asia art and Zen Drawing.



As far as i can reach standing
(graphite on fabriarno)


http://rachelevansart.blogspot.com/


1 comment:

  1. TOM MARIONI has been doing this for years, since the 70s, he is an old man now, not all people get forgotten. He even has a video where he draws the circle and then on another canvas draws the straight lines, exactly the same as your video and concept!!!

    ReplyDelete